Research output per year
Research output per year
Before joining Leeds Trinity University, Bruce worked as a Chartered Occupational Psychologist for Disability Services at the Department for Work and Pensions. His work involved delivering vocational counselling and guidance and psychometric assessment to people with disabilities and to disadvantaged groups. Working on this agenda he took the national lead for the delivery and evaluation of Group Personal Effectiveness Programmes and was commissioned as the Psychology expert with the Government team supporting the introduction of equal opportunities through ‘Access to Work’ for the Ministry of Social Affairs, Estonia. He started lecturing at Leeds Trinity University in 2002 and became the Head of Department of Psychology in 2006 until 2015. He has worked on a variety of consultancy and research projects with the Department for Work and Pensions, Her Majesty’s Prison Service, the NHS and the Vocational Rehabilitation Association. He has been a co-editor of the Journal of Occupational Psychology, Employment and Disability since 2000.
PSY6462 Counselling Psychology
PSY6032 Business Psychology
PSY4072 Professional Development and Placement in Psychology
PSY6114 Major Research Project
Chair of the Panel of Examiners in Psychology
Member of School Board; Student Disciplinary Committee; Disability Network Group; Placement Supervisor Group.
1. Applied psychology in the workplace (Business / Work / Organisational / Occupational / Industrial Psychology)
2. Career guidance and vocational counselling; selection and assessment.
3. Occupational Psychology, wellbeing, disability and employment rehabilitation
4. Mental health and employment: Self-help and personal effectiveness / Solution Focused Brief Therapy / Positive Thinking / Strategies for human problem solving
5. Hidden disability and employment: Specific learning difficulties - Dyslexia (assessment and diagnosis) / Asperger’s / ADHD / Dyspraxia / Dysgraphia/Dyscalculia
6. Head injury and memory difficulties: rehabilitation and employment: Memory testing and diagnosis (Wechsler Memory Scale)
7. Learning difficulties and employment: Intelligence and intelligence testing (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale)
8. Work motivation, job satisfaction and organisational culture change
9. Counselling and coaching psychology
10. Evolutionary Psychology, Positive Psychology and Political Psychology (of interest only)
Postgraduate Certificate, The University of Manchester
Award Date: 1 Jun 1996
Bachelor of Arts, Leeds Trinity University
Award Date: 1 Jun 1990
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review